Elizabeth E. Hunter
Elizabeth Hunter is the President and Shareholder of Frumkin & Hunter Law PC. She handles a wide range of matters on behalf of employees and employers, with a concentration in employment discrimination, harassment, and retaliation; ERISA and employee benefits; wage-and-hour; protected leave; and whistleblower claims. Ms. Hunter has represented clients in all phases of employment and employee benefits matters, including assisting with successful appeals at United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the New York Appellate Division, Second Department. Ms. Hunter has also successfully negotiated and litigated disability access cases.
Ms. Hunter has written and spoken on ERISA and employment discrimination topics for various organizations, including the New York Law Journal, the National Employment Lawyers Association national conference/New York chapter conference, the New York State Bar Association, the Westchester County Bar Association, the Women's Bar Association of Orange and Sullivan Counties, the Westchester Women's Bar Association, the Practicing Law Institute, and Lorman Education Services.
Ms. Hunter was previously an associate attorney with Sapir & Frumkin LLP, where she handled all aspects of employment and employee benefits matters. She also worked previously as a law clerk for the U.S. Department of Labor Office of Administrative Law Judges, where she handled cases under federal whistleblower statutes, including the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and various health and safety laws, as well as under federal wage-and-hour and workers' compensation statutes. She was also an intern of the Legal Aid Society-Employment Law Center in San Francisco, where she focused on gender and disability discrimination, and family and medical leave issues. Ms. Hunter also served as a judicial extern for U.S. Magistrate Judge Joseph C. Spero in the Northern District of California.
Ms. Hunter is a magna cum laude graduate of Wellesley College. She received her law degree from the University of California at Berkeley, graduating as a member of the Order of the Coif. She was awarded the Best Brief Award, as well as the American Jurisprudence Award in Corporations, and the Prosser Award in Property.
While in law school, she was a senior articles editor for the Berkeley Journal of Employment and Labor Law, a member of the California Law Review, and a volunteer for the Workers' Rights Clinic.
Ms. Hunter is admitted to practice in New York and California, as well as the federal courts for the Southern, Eastern, Western, and Northern Districts of New York, the Northern District of California, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
She is a member of the National Employment Lawyers Association, the American Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association, the Women's Bar Association of Orange and Sullivan Counties, the Westchester Women's Bar Association, the Westchester County Bar Association, and the Orange County Bar Association.
- U.S. District Court Western District of New York, 2019
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 2011
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2011
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2008
- New York, 2007
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2006
- California, 2005
- University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, California
- JD - 05/2005
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Honors: California Law Review, 2003-2005
- Honors: Articles Editor, Berkeley Journal of Employment and Labor Law, 2003-2005
Honors and Awards
- Best Brief Award in Written and Oral Advocacy Course
- Prosser Award in Property
- American Jurisprudence Award in Corporations
Past Employment Positions
- U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Administrative Law Judges, Attorney Advisor, 2005 to 2007
- Sapir & Frumkin LLP, Associate Attorney, 2007 to 2012